Thursday 22 September 2011

Why do this blog?

I've been asking myself that question for a couple of days now.

Along with 'Will anyone read it?', although that secondary question has slipped somewhat off the radar, given I have understood that this is merely a vehicle for me to express my thoughts, ramblings, opinions, etc about golf - if anyone reads it (enjoying it would be an added bonus) then so much the better.



Since deciding to take on the 2011 Macmillan Longest Day Challenge, I started to get involved in Twitter. This phenomenon & its popularity (as with most other forms of social media) had pretty much passed me by, so it took me a little while to get to grips with what it was all about.

I used @neverupneverin1 to get in touch with all sorts of golf-obsessed people from around the world, some 200-odd of which decided that they were interested enough in our challenge to follow us.

The challenge reached its final conclusion with the announcement of the final teams who would be going to the Boavista Resort in Portugal to fight it out to become the champions for 2011. Alas, Never Up Never In weren't part of the top four, having finished a very credible 21st out of the 330 teams who took part.

That led me to wonder what I can get my teeth into next, how I can continue to feed my golf habit whilst having less and less time spare to actually play it, and how can I justify continuing to use Twitter?

I decided that, having seen a number of top quality and highly entertaining blogs - brought to my attention through Twitter - I would go down that road myself, although a challenge was to try and make it different from other golf blogs.

I noticed a common feature of the blogs out there at the moment - they are written by people who are obsessed with golf. It consumes their world at all times, whether that is by playing the game or by writing about it.

What about a medium for those people who love the game, but don't have the time to play as often as they would like?

Or have regular, Monday to Friday 9-5 jobs and can only ever get out at weekends?

Or have families and aren't allowed out to play more than once every six-eight weeks?

This blog is for the infrequent golfers.

We can hold a club. We can make a decent score. We could play twice in a weekend, but it sure hurts afterwards.

I am The Part-Time Golfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment