Tuesday 18 October 2011

5 things I love about golf


It is now under a week until Gribber and I will be playing golf which, coming a mere three weeks since I last played, puts me firmly into 'regular golfer' territory. With my anticipation building ahead of Monday afternoon, I thought I would pen a few things I love about the game of golf.





1. Following in the footsteps
Every sport has its heroes. Idols to millions of fans, placed on a pedestal and worshipped for their skill, brilliance and envied for their lifestyle. In the majority of sports, getting involved and having the opportunity to try and replicate their achievements, or indeed compete alongside them, is restricted to a vivid imagination or a computer game.

Golf is relatively unique in that anyone can, with the appropriate exchange of hard currency or use of a network of contacts, have a chance to recreate famous moments from the archives. Watching the pros play at the top courses in the world and knowing that you can (try to) do exactly the same is what, I feel, brings the game closer to the fans that in other sports.

Who wouldn't want to drop a ball in the rough to the left of the 18th at Royal Birkdale and have a go at recreating Justin Rose's chip-in at the 1998 Open?

Standing on #10 of The Brabazon course at The Belfry, why wouldn't you want to have a pop at it?

Just brilliant.



2. Sense of satisfaction
Sometimes, even as a P-TG, everything clicks for the full 18 holes and you post a fabulous score. More often than not, the fabulous parts of the round are on the sporadic side and it can feel like a battle to get round the course.

Regardless of the final score achieved, I do love the sense of satisfaction which comes with something good, however small it might seem. Even when you are in the midst of what seems like the crappiest round of golf ever in the history of the game (including Maurice Flitcroft's efforts), there will always be one shot which will bring a smile to your face and your inner monologue will say, 'Ah, that's why I play this game'.



3. The great unknown
I am a big fan of yardage books for golf courses. A lot of people I play with don't ever bother to pick up one of these but, for me, not being a member anywhere and playing a lot of new courses, they are invaluable for plotting your way around an unfamiliar layout.

I love the challenge of playing a new course. I love opening up the recently purchased course guide and working out how best to tackle each hole. Clearly, nothing can substitute for actually playing a course to find out the subtleties of the ground, the slopes and undulations of the green or the thickness of the forest into which you have sliced, but that is part and parcel of the discovery of a new course.



4. The banter
Somewhat like cricket, I believe golf is a banterer's paradise. Whatever the occasion, you are pretty much guaranteed to be presented with at least one opportunity to mercilessly, yet jovially, taunt your opponent for their technical or mental failings.

Who can resist the opportunity to say 'Three' when one of your group accidently knocks the ball off the tee when addressing it?!

Who can fail to find the funny side if, when faced with a shot over a bunker, your opponent dumps the ball straight in the sand having previously spoken of the need to avoid it?!



5. The mental challenge
I love the task involved with trying to maintain your concentration levels for four hours or more, particularly when interspersed with banter from your colleagues.

I love trying to keep swing thoughts to a minimum during execution of the shot, but at the same time trying not to forget the beautiful, flawless, inch-perfect practice swing you completed not ten seconds previously.

I love trying to calculate yardages and working out what I need to hit to clear a certain hazard, or to leave a certain club for the next shot, regardless of whether I actually achieve it.

Finally, whilst I might not be very good at it, I love the necessity of having to move on from each shot and concentrate on the next one because it could be perfect.



I am the Part-Time Golfer



2 comments:

  1. I also like golf because of its mental challenges. In order to play golf, you need to study each shot you will have to make. You are also required to read the greens and make a decision on how to hit the ball from a specific location. In addition, you have to be 100% focused on everything you do. Golf isn’t just a form of exercise, but it also stimulates your mental strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true! Golf is not just an outdoor game in which you'll just randomly swing the club and exert a lot of force. This game is a mixture of math and science, wherein you'll be dealing with too much mental challenge. Accuracy, precision, force, and control – well, these are just a few factors that are involved in golf, right? In fact, these are the fun fundamentals that golf has. Use “force” when swinging the club combined with full “control and precision” to be as accurate in getting the ball into the hole.

    ReplyDelete