Thursday 21 June 2012

Crystal ball? Cubic zirconia, more like


Back in December, I made some predictions as to how the 2012 golfing calendar might pan out for the majors, Ryder Cup and world rankings. As we are halfway through the cycle of majors, I thought I would do a quick progress report.

 
Masters

Now, my choice for this event was, I concede, somewhat guided by the 2011 event. My choice had performed incredibly well that year, not just at Augusta, and I had every reason to believe he could go one better and don the green jacket. The pre-tournament hype was all about the usual suspects currently residing in the upper echelons of the OWGR but, as so often in Masters-past, Messrs Donald, McIlroy, Westwood et al flattered to deceive. The stage, therefore, was available for a relatively unheralded challenger to step forward and claim the prize.
Unfortunately, for my predictions rather than for him, Bubba Watson emerged victorious whilst my selection, Jason Day, foundered early and, due to an unfortunate ankle injury (didn't even make the weekend. Isn't it amazing how these afflictions strike golfers down after they've posted a shocking score? Such a cynic, I am.
US Open

On to sunny/misty San Francisco, the Olympic Club and the US Open last week. My choice this time around was less left-field than for the Masters although, to triumph, he would have had to overturn many years of historical precedence and his own sporadic form of recent weeks. Not since Curtis Strange in 89/90 has anyone defended a US Open title but, at the back end of 2011, there was every reason to believe that Rory McIlroy would maintain his ability to control the golf ball and mount a serious challenge for the win.
Clearly, the lack of regular tournament golf for the young Ulsterman has had a detrimental effect on his form, his missed cut at Olympic his third in four events. After the first two rounds, some chap called Woods was lurking near the summit of a leaderboard notable for the dearth of red scores. Come Sunday's final round and much of the focus was on Jim Furyk and Graeme McDowell in the final pairing, plus half an eye on Lee Westwood a handful of shots further back. In the end, the savage semi-rough killed off their challenges, leaving Webb Simpson to triumph by a shot.
So there we are - two majors down and I am, some might say unsurprisingly, 0 for 2. Onwards and upwards - next up is the grandaddy of the majors, The Open at Royal Lytham. If the Met Office, that bastion of meteorological excellence, is to be believed, the weather could be pretty ropey so I'm hoping that my selection, Rickie Fowler, can maintain his solid start to the year and win the Claret Jug.
Following that is the US PGA. As long as Dustin Johnson remembers jet skis are better picked up by other people, I hope he can get back to full fitness and be involved at the end of that week.
Then there's the Ryder Cup - I was (like so many this side of the pond) bordering on the dismissive of the US challenge for the Cup but, I have to admit, the rankings have a distinctly red hue of late. Whether that stays that way between now and the end of September, or whether it translates into points are other questions entirely.  With rookies like Jason Dufner & Webb Simpson likely to be involved, I still believe the experienced heads from Europe will still take home the bacon.
Finally, I nailed my colours firmly to the McIlroy Mast in terms of who would end the year top of the world rankings. Despite this week's holder of the #1 spot, Luke Donald, coming right back into form with victory at the BMW PGA at Wentworth (shocking US Open display notwithstanding), I do still believe that he will find it increasingly difficult to maintain the stellar results he produced in 2010 (which he is defending this year) and, with McIlroy's demonstrable form of recovering from poor streaks, I see him ending the year top of the pile.

Only time will tell if I have a future as a clairvoyant. 

I am the Part-Time Golfer


No comments:

Post a Comment